The Global Counsel Leaders Circle enables valuable exchange among exceptional in-house legal and compliance leaders worldwide. Members rank the Leaders Circle at the top among external activities to improve their law department and aid in their legal team’s professional development.
Conferences and member gatherings are held annually in the Americas and in greater Europe. Members exchange thoughtful and pragmatic views, approaches and best practices on topics they select. Member benefits also include benchmarking, hot topic research and analysis papers, a query and help hotline, regular polls on hot topics, recommended readings and access to online resources via a members-only website.
In-house counsel leading legal or compliance of a corporate group, subsidiary, division or region face countless complex, high-stake challenges, potential crises and opportunities. Yet often they face these issues in a vacuum, without trusted connections to peers facing similar situations in other institutions and industries worldwide.
As problem-solvers and navigators, global legal and compliance leaders greatly benefit from an ongoing practical and strategic exchange with other legal and compliance chiefs. As a senior business executive, your membership in the Global Counsel Leaders Circle helps you improve your ability to run a high-performing legal / compliance team globally. Insights gained from membership on current and horizon issues will be of tremendous value to your organization..
“There is very interactive participation and a real exchange of valuable info. I had cautious high hopes which were met and exceeded.”
- Chief Compliance Officer, GCLC member
“I like the Global Counsel Leaders Circle’s approach to essential topics we face with commercial opportunity and risk. Everyone’s input is fundamental; we address practical issues and learn effective approaches.”
- International GC of Europe headquartered conglomerate, GCLC member
Who is eligible?
By invitation, in-house counsel in the top legal role of a division, subsidiary, or geographic region in international corporations and organizations may join. Current members lead functions providing services across areas with business revenues from $2 to more than $25 billion. Titles include: Group GC, GC of global subsidiary, Chief Compliance Officer, regional GC, etc.
Members must meet at least two of these criteria:
- Your responsibility covers a business or area with revenues of more than US$2 billion
- Your organization is active in more than 6 countries
- The legal team you lead has at least 10 in-house legal professionals lawyers
“The Leaders Circle provides a frank and open exchange of valuable experiences, among very talented Legal and Compliance leaders in many industries.”
- GC of industrial automotive manufacturer
“Thank you, I felt like I was at a more intimate version of Davos. It was a remarkably open, thoughtful exchange.”
- GCLC conference guest speaker
Members are from 13 countries and 3 continents. Half are women, with many nationalities and bar qualifications, in companies including:
Boston Consulting Group
Computer Sciences Corp
Volvo Financial Services
“The collaborative power of the Global Counsel Leaders Circle is impressive. It's an affable group of strategic-minded legal and compliance leaders from some of the world's largest and most admired corporations."
- Tim Glassett, former GC, Hilton Hotels
Member fees and benefits
Advantages of Global Counsel Leaders Circle membership repay the cost many times, for each member and for your company. Upon acceptance and payment of the annual membership fee, Global Counsel Leaders Circle members enjoy these benefits:
- You can participate in any Global Counsel Leaders conference wherever it's held (2 in Europe, 2 in US annually, plus others). If you're unavailable or want a peer or direct report to benefit from participation, you can send someone in your place.
- You can attend shorter meetings among members, organized in 5-6 cities globally every year. The goal is member exchange and we often discuss hot topics.
- You receive summaries of all GCLC meetings globally and copies of all presentations.
- You take part in our bi-annual benchmarking and short polls held throughout the year. You receive a detailed report and can request more info when you want specifics. You can add benchmarking questions.
- You gain member access to the Global Counsel Leaders Circle website which is searchable. On the site, you can find the current events calendar, summaries and presentations of past events, member profiles, white papers, etc.
- You may use our query hotline for specific questions. GCLC organizers reach out to members and our contacts to quickly get input on a particular topic or need.
- You receive recommended readings about every 6 weeks - a wide selection of articles for global counsel leaders. Members and the Exec Director contribute articles.
- You may take advantage of 2 hours annually of my consulting time on a topic of your choice.
“The Leaders Circle membership is less costly than attending a conference and more valuable than other roundtable groups I've attended.”
- GCLC Member
For questions about membership:
Contact Leigh Dance, Executive Director, Global Counsel Leaders Circle
Dance is also President of ELD International LLC, New York and Brussels
tel: +32 47 891 6184 / +1 631 375 8223
“The Global Counsel Leaders Circle brings together a very high quality and diverse mix of senior in-house counsel. The industries and geographies represented contribute significantly to the quality of the discussions and the variety of perspectives.”
- Michael Going, Chief Compliance Officer & Corporate Secretary, CNH Industrial
“I like the seniority of the participants and their proactive attitude. The topics are well selected and the discussion extremely well moderated.”
- Global Counsel Leaders Circle Advisory Board member
Members and Speakers from these organizations
“Brilliant discussions, high-level people - I could not ask for more.”
- Group General Counsel, large Middle East conglomerate, GCLC member
As a Global Counsel Leaders Circle Member, your company gains insights into best practice and lessons learned in vital areas
To see topics covered in Leaders Circle programs in 2016 and earlier, contact Events@gcleaderscircle.org
Speakers at recent Global Counsel Leaders Circle events:
Robin Abraham, Managing Partner - Middle East, Clifford Chance (Dubai)
Scott Angelo, CIO, K&L Gates (NY)
Keir Ashton, Chief Legal Officer, Louis Dreyfus Commodities (Geneva)
Ed Batts, Partner, Global Co-Head M&A and Private Equity, Orrick (Silicon Valley)
Mark Beer, Chief Executive & Registrar, DIFC Courts, Dubai International Financial District (Dubai)
Peter Beshar, EVP & Group General Counsel, Marsh & McLennan Companies (NY)
Hendrik Bourgeouis, General Counsel Europe, The General Electric Company (Brussels)
His Excellency Hamad Buamim, Mg Director, Dubai World; Director, UAE Central Bank (Dubai)
Justin Catillo, Legal Head, BT Americas (Washington DC)
Sabine Chalmers, Chief Legal & Corp Affairs Officer, AB InBev (New York)
Bruno Cova, former General Counsel, Fiat and former CLO, Parmalat (Milan)
Michael Critelli, former Chairman and CEO, Pitney Bowes (Stamford)
Daniel Crowley, Partner - Public Policy, K&L Gates (Washington)
Patrick Donovan, Chief Ethics & Compliance Officer, Airbus (Toulouse)
Daragh Fagan, General Counsel, Rentokil-Initial (London)
Dan Fitz, Group General Counsel, BT (London)
Richard Given, Deputy General Counsel, Group Legal, HSBC (London)
Tim Glassett, former General Counsel, Hilton Hotels (Los Angeles)
Melinda Haag, Partner, Orrick (San Francisco)
David Kerr, Chief Executive Officer, Bird & Bird (London)
Kevin Kornoelje, North America Legal Practice Leader, Egon Zehnder (Los Angeles)
Amelie de Marsily, EMEAR Global Enterprise Services Lead, Cisco (Madrid)
Boris Martor, Partner, Head of Eversheds Africa Law Institute, Eversheds (Paris)
Bruce McLean, former Akin Gump Chairman; Consultant Zeughauser Grp (Washington DC)
Tom Sabatino, General Counsel & Chief Administrative Officer, Hertz (Chicago)
Honorable Richard Sullivan, United States District Judge - Southern District of NY
Paul Smith, Chairman, Eversheds (London)
Franck Tassan, Group General Counsel, Carrefour (Paris)
Geoffrey Timms, Group General Counsel, Legal & General (London)
“The session on maneuvering multi-jurisdiction joint ventures was exceptional.”
- comment from GCLC member evaluation
To join Global Counsel Leaders Circle:
Contact Leigh Dance (View profile)
Director, Global Counsel Leaders Circle and President, ELD International LLC, New York and Brussels
tel: +32 (0)47 891 6184 ; +1 631 375 8223